Very Rev Peter Reilly
1 Ballycullen Avenue
Firhouse Dublin 24
Phone: (01) 4599855
Mobile in case of emergencies:
Assistant to Secretary
Monday - Friday
9.30.a.m. - 4.00.p.m.
Phone: (01) 4524702
Around the Web
The Irish Catholic, published weekly, provides a lively mix of news, analysis and informed commentary about the Church and social issues as they affect Ireland and the wider-world.
Today´s Mass Readings
A unique reflection from a faith perspective on topical issues and news events. Speakers from across the world´s major faiths offer a spiritual insight rooted in the theology of their own tradition.
Reports on religion, current affairs, politics, social issues, literature and the arts with a special emphasis on Roman Catholicism while remaining ecumenical.
A short history of the parish by Maire Uí Mhurchú
- 1827:The Carmelite Sisters from Clondalkin formed a Convent in Firhouse in a house of this name, which was owned by a Mr. Smith.
- 1828: On 20th March Dr. Murray, Archbishop of Dublin, dedicated the Convent Chapel. This event marked the beginning of a long service by the Sisters to the Parishioners of Firhouse which has lasted until today. Their existence as a contemplative order was banned by the Penal Laws as they were ‘productive.’ To comply with the Law the Sisters built the original school at Firhouse and although a contemplative order they taught all subjects.
- 1851: The Board of Education took over the school. The Sisters continued to teach Religion.
- 1868: A new two teacher school was built at a cost of £631.7s.10½d. This served the local community until 1954.
- 1954: The Carmelite Sisters provided a site and a four teacher school, now known as Scoil Carmel, was built .This was later extended to 6 classrooms. In September 1975 a new extension was built consisting of ten classrooms, Remedial Room, Kitchen, Library and Assembly Hall.
- 1968: On 1st November Bohernabreena/Tallaght parish was constituted.
- 1972: On 3rd September Bohernabreena/Firhouse parish was constituted from the Bohernabreena/Tallaght parish. Fr. Brian Kelly was appointed Parish Priest and Fr. Mícheál Hastings was appointed Curate, resident in Firhouse.
- 1973: On 1st January 12.30.p.m. Mass was introduced as a Parish Mass.
- 1974: On 1st January 11.30.a.m. and 6.15.p.m. Masses were introduced.
- 1975: On 1st November Firhouse Parish was constituted and Fr. Noel Madden appointed Administrator. Meanwhile the Carmelite Oratory served the local community. In the absence of a Parish Church the parishioners attended the Convent Masses at 9.00.a.m. and 10.30.a.m. These Masses were celebrated by the Fathers from the Carmelite College in Terenure, who have been the Convent Chaplains since 3rd December 1882. Among the Carmelite Chaplains was Fr. Lamont, then well known as Bishop Donal Lamont. Previous to 3rd December 1882 the Dominican Fathers were the Convent Chaplains.
- 1976: From January 4th celebration of Sunday Masses commenced in Scoil Carmel Assembly Hall at 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 12.45 and 6p.m.
- 1977: On 1st May Scoil Treasa, a second sixteen room primary school was blessed and opened.
- 1977: On 16th October the Mass Centre was transferred to Scoil Treasa.
- 1979: The 27th May – the momentous occasion of the opening of our new Church. Its title "Our Lady of Mount Carmel" is in recognition and appreciation of the Carmelite presence in the parish for nearly two centuries.